Saturday, July 24, 2010

6:23 am

That is precisely the time that Jack woke me up this morning.  I heard him shouting that he had to go potty and immediately knew there was no hope that he would fall back to sleep alone.  So we went potty.  Then, we tried to go back to bed (meaning I committed a very bad Mommy-no-no by bringing him into our bed, but I was desperate for just a little more sleep).  It was not meant to be...Jack was WIDE AWAKE.

But it's not that this was just any morning that Jack woke up a little early.  This just happened to be the morning after I saw Dave Matthews Band - my night was a blast, but whenever Kimmee and I team up for any event, the night is inevitably going to take some unexpected turns. 

First, we couldn't get to the Metro the way we'd planned because there was a huge accident.  We feared if we went our original way, we'd miss the whole opening act - the Zac Brown Band, who I happen to love, and who Kimmee believes is VERY country based on her facial expressions in the car:) 

Thanks to my Harley-riding parents, I had a hunch that you could go another way, what with all the back road rides they do:)  Turns out my hunch was right, and while Kimmee was skeptical that we'd make the 5:48 train with an arrival of 5:36 - my late ways knew otherwise.  We were golden.

Until we were standing on the platform, and Kimmee's flip flop broke. 


Have you ever tried to walk with a broken flip flop on?  YOU CAN'T!  Needless to say, poor Kimmee had to walk half barefoot for a good, long while.  Like, until we got into the stadium and found first aid.  Lovely.

But we made the 5:48 train after paying twice as much as we probably needed to, I'm pretty sure, but how in the heck are you supposed to decipher those Metro signs?!

We stepped onto the train, only to realize there was NO AIR-CONDITIONING.  (Perhaps I had failed to mention until this point that it was 102 degrees outside and we were already sweating prior to exiting my car.)

At the first stop, we hopped cars hoping we'd just picked a dud the first time, but no.  The whole train did not have air-conditioning.  Perfect.

At this point, we were still believing everything was going to be okay, and we'd cool down, and be able to buy Kimmee some Nationals flip flops at the stadium.  Upon arrival, we quickly found there were no flip flops for sale, but if we didn't get something to drink and eat, I was likely to die.  I'd been fasting all day in anticipation of the great food - probably not a good idea what with the heat and all.

We got some food (sub-par) and headed off in search of First Aid.  Luckily, they were able to provide some relief for poor Kimmee.


At this point, sweat was dripping out of every pore, and we were hoping our seats were located on the west so as not to be in the direct sunlight, but they were not.  We opted to walk around a bit to try to catch a breeze.  After ditching the dinner that was inedible with the braces, I ended up with a coke, some ice cream, and a bottle of water.  As the sun started to go down, we found our way to our seats.
  
There were maybe 5 rows behind us

A packed stadium

Nationals Park

A self-portrait.  We may not look that sweaty, but really, WE ARE.

With all of the hiccups, the concert was great:)  We had so much fun listening to our Dave favorites, hearing some new music, and people-watching.  Can you really be unhappy at a Dave Matthews Band concert?  I think not.

Dave's the tiny, black speck in the middle:)

We enjoyed the dancing.

And the thankyouverymuch, thankyouverymuches.

And Kimmee's taped feet.

After the concert, I got a couple of new DMB t-shirts (I can't resist), and then we headed out.  Here's the last two pictures of us from our evening - at this point, we felt like we'd just stepped out of the shower, we were so soaked.

Self-portrait

A good Samaritan helped us out

Needless to say, we did take a small trip on the wrong Metro line and a wrong turn on 66, but we made it home around 1:30 or so.  I'm old - and it was WAY past my bedtime.  But I stayed up to shower and fill in my hubby about our super eventful evening, and didn't get to sleep until 3:30. 

So when I heard Jack calling at 6:23 - I almost cried.  But instead, I smiled, got up to take him potty and snuggle, and fed him breakfast.

I will happily sleep while Baby sleeps at naptime:)

No comments: